Sunday, March 7, 2010

a big omelet of defeat

That's what I made for myself tonight.

See, Steven was out of town for the day and as dinner time rolled around, I began to feel rebellious with a dash of courage.

I'm no good in the kitchen. Never have been. Don't want anything to do with that room in the house.

Some little girls like baking cookies and treats and stirring the noodles with their moms in the kitchen. As a kid, I wanted to smack those little girls. As a woman, they still frustrate me. All I ever wanted was a man to cook for me.

That's what I wanted and I knew I was destined for it. I honed my man-hunting skills and steered clear of the kitchen. Through the years, I perfected every excuse in the book. College helped because I was obviously studying so hard [yeah right] that all I had time for was pizza and spaghetti noodles.


Along the way, I did discover I was quite skilled with sandwich making and knew that if I could manage to lure in the right man and make him fall for me quickly enough - whilst masking my dislike for cooking by shoving gourmet sandwiches in his face at peak hunger times - I'd have it made. By the time he knew what had hit him, our love would be strong enough to conquer all cooking dysfunction. Right?



Then I met Steven.

That made a whole lotta of sense. He completely duped me with his smile and cute dimples and now I live with a guy who is required to consume about 3 times that of the average male. You may be asking, "why didn't you think of that when you decided to date a professional endurance athlete?"
I don't have the answer, people.

So back to the omelet of defeat. I've been trying. I really have. Trying to both get over my dislike for cooking and at the same time, become more independent for myself, more dependable for my boyfriend [oh Gawd, i can't believe I just admitted that...] and maybe even find a little... fun... in the meantime.

Two things I know I can do are scramble eggs and sautee veggies. Seriously, I'm sort of badass at both. Watch out Julia Childs.
Tonight, I tried to combine both known skills by preparing an omelet.


And nowww the photos you've all been waiting for:





Asparagus and avocado egg omelet beginnings [we just happened to have those items in the fridge... and of course cheese would have been nice, but I don't typically shop for that because of Mr. Dairy-free, my handsome roommate.]





Lookin' good!











Feelin' confident!











Ready for the flip!













...






wtf. Egg, asparagus and avocado MESS anyone?


Well, I still ate it. And enjoyed it too. My amateur excuse is, "it all tastes the same, no matter how it looks." I'll keep trying, I promise.


And yes, I drank a coca-cola with my meal of devastation. Straight out of the can.

With a good amount of caffeine in my veins, I shall now approach the "by hand" dishwashing duties with angst masked as zeal and resolution.

[dishwashing gloves on... annnd.... go.]

1 comment:

  1. my favorite thing about this post? that you misspelled julia child's name.

    i may have gotten all the food love in the gene pool, but you definitely got the voodoo man luring power. i love it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete