Friday, February 13, 2009

Ha, speaking of thunder and lightning...

Um... you guys have seen the Lance interview from the AToC press conference last night, right?

If not, you can view it on www.cycleto.com.

Steven called to say goodnight last night and mentioned something about how Christian had returned from the press conference and said that Lance and a reporter got into an argument. I thought that sounded a little bogus... honestly... if I've learned anything from being involved with this sport in the last few years, its that the peloton is one big gossip chain.

But then this morning I actually saw the interview on the web and... yeah... Lance laid the smack down.

Erin and I watched the video this morning from our office.

[sidebar: I happen to be great friends with my fellow podium hostess from Tour of Missouri. Matter of fact, we work together on a daily basis and we're super close]

Both of us just sat there for a moment after the video finished. Our mouths had dropped open and we couldn't seem to close them.

To be honest, I think the notion that Lance came back to the sport to bring awareness to the Livestrong Foundation and cancer prevention is sort of a lame excuse. Its just my opinion, but I believe he feels like he has something to prove and he's just bored when he's not kicking a bunch of people's *sses. But for a reporter to go beyond "critic" and suggest that Lance is a form of cancer to the sport of cycling - that's just redonkulous. Yes, I said redonkulous.

[redonkulous: (adj.) excessively ridiculous; head-smackingly ridiculous]

I think Lance handled the situation perfectly. That reporter is a jerk. [give me a break, I'm trying to cut down on the profanity in case my parents are reading this] I mean, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but shouldn't the press conference have been about the Tour of California and not some inappropriate cancer analogy? Couldn't the reporter have asked how Lance planned to help Levi during the next 10 days? And good grief, speaking of Levi, did anyone else pay attention to his face while Lance was making Kimmage feel like the the world's biggest loser? That may have been the best comic relief of the entire video clip. He looked so uncomfortable.

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall during that Q&A.

I say, just let the guy ride his bike. Let them all ride their bikes, for heaven's sake.

"Why can't we all just get along???" Dammit!

1 comment:

  1. Man, Lance shut that dude down! It was awesome. People can say what the will about Lance, but it was just idiotic to make a crack about Cancer!! I'm with you; just let them ride their bikes and focus on the sport. I for one can't wait for the coverage to start tomorrow. Oh, if only we were there...
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete